If your loved one is challenged by developmental disabilities and needs support, we can help them find it. Contact us for more information.
- No organization can enroll an individual into their program without a source of funding.
- The state of New Mexico can provide a source of funding through one of the two options:
- Developmental Disabilities waiver
- State General funding
Viable sources of funding:
- All applicants for funding must wait for a period of time while the state of New Mexico allocates sufficient funding to the applicant. Unfortunately, most waiting periods are very long, but the wait may vary depending on the eligibility of the applicant.
- Tobosa Developmental Services is only one of 70 organizations in New Mexico that can provide services to those with developmental disabilities. In most instances, a case management agency not associated with Tobosa helps determine which organization will provide services to the applicant. We cannot solicit cases for ourselves, but we can help applicants begin the process of applying for support.
- Clients with private pay.
How do I apply for funding?
To help a loved one, the state of New Mexico provides two sources of funding.
Developmental Disabilities Waiver
The Developmental Disabilities (DD) waiver provides funding for individuals with developmental disabilities that occur before the age of 22. You may file an application and the state of New Mexico will determine the eligibility of the applicant. If the applicant meets the state’s requirements, the individual will be placed on the state’s waiting list. Unfortunately, the DD waiver currently has a very long waiting period. The waiting period is approximately 10 years. Applicants must wait this time while the state of NM allocates sufficient funding to the applicant. Not all individuals on the waiting list are provided with funding at once. Funding is limited and only a small number of individuals are funded statewide every year.
Once the applicant has acquired funding source through the DD waiver, the applicant must select a case management agency. The case manager provides the family and the applicant with service options and provider agencies available in the area. If the family and the individual select Tobosa, a meeting is scheduled to discuss and prepare a plan to begin providing services.
When funding is provided through the DD waiver, the case management agencies will serve as a third party therefore not associated with Tobosa Developmental Services.
- Learn more at NM Human Services.
- Download the application here.
- If you need help filing an application, please contact us and we can walk you through the process.
State General funding
State General funding is intended for individuals needing minimal staff support. It is a very limited source of funding that often provides basic day and residential services while individuals wait for more sustainable funding through the DD waiver.
Tobosa can provide services through State General funding using one of our 9 slots. Unfortunately, we do not currently have any vacant slots. Anytime a slot is vacant, Tobosa can provide services to someone on the waiting list for the DD waiver funding. To begin the process for State General funded individuals, we provide a case manager and meet with the individual and their family. In the meeting we discuss and prepare a plan to begin providing services.
If you need help filing an application, please contact us and we can walk you through the process.